Wednesday, May 9, 2012

"these treats will blow your mind."

That's what Alicia Silverstone promises in The Kind Diet's introduction to the recipe for Crispy Peanut Butter Treats with Chocolate Chips. And she is so totally right.

I've made several recipes from the book but only this one dessert. I want to try the cupcakes and peanut butter cups but I can't get past these crispy chocolate treats, as noted in this post. The ingredients themselves are a bit pricey but they're worth it. Plus, it's so simple and easy to make.


The first time I made them I didn't have enough of the syrup and so every time after that I've used the reduced amount for syrup as well as less of the other ingredients. I think any extra syrup would make them too sweet and take away from the crunchy rice flavor, which I like. But if you prefer the sweet syrup taste or want extra chocolate, by all means add in more. It's impossible to ruin this recipe.

I've made these a handful of times now and have shared them with everybody. And everybody really likes them. I hope you do too.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup to 1 3/4 cups brown rice syrup
1/2 to 3/4 cup almond or peanut butter
1/2 cup chocolate chips or carob chips
1 box of rice crisps (a brand is not specified in the book so I just found one I liked: Perky's Rice Crisps; I only used about 3/4 of the whole box to test the crisp to other ingredient ratio)

The first few times I made the treats I used carob chips. I've also tried unsweetened chocolate and will next try dairy-free chocolate (which on its own tastes great) but right now in this recipe my first choice would be to use carob chips (not so great on their own but really great for the treats).

Heat the syrup on the stovetop. Once liquified, stir in the almond butter until blended. Pour the box of rice crisps into a bowl and then add the syrup/almond butter mixture. Stir well. Alicia suggests waiting until the mix has cooled before adding in the chocolate so it doesn't melt but I actually prefer the melted chocolate as opposed to whole chips. I still wait a bit for it to cool slightly and then mix in the chocolate.

Then transfer the gooey delight to an 8x8 pan and pat firmly in (if you use the whole box of crisps, you will have enough mixture to fill up almost two 8x8 pans). Let stand for about an hour or until firm. Cut into squares and eat up. It's quite likely the whole pan will be gone in two days.

4 comments:

  1. omg, these look beyond delish. Fabulous post, love. When you get a sec, I'd love to hear your thoughts on my latest outfit post for LaurenConrad.com. xo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe sounds amazing. I'm pinning it on my pinterest board!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks delicious. Can't wait to make this!

    xx
    Glass of Fashion

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message! Be sure to check back for replies or answers to questions.